Social Security Number Privacy Protection Policy
Revised August 18, 2017
Effective as of March 12, 2013
Personal Information is information that is capable of being associated with an individual through one or more identifiers including, but not limited to, a Social Security number, a driver’s license number, a state identification card number, an account number, a credit or debit card number, a passport number, an alien registration number, or a health insurance identification number. Personal Information does not include publicly available information that is lawfully made available to the general public from federal, state or local government records or widely distributed media.
- Our internal policies and procedures impose a number of standards to:
- Safeguard the confidentiality of Personal Information, including Social Security numbers;
- prohibit the unlawful disclosure of Social Security numbers, and
- limit access to Social Security numbers.
- We will not request a Social Security number unless the number is needed to comply with federal or state law, or where required to administer or enforce a transaction.
- We will not use or share Social Security numbers or Personal Information with third parties unless there is a legitimate business “need to know” in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Records containing Social Security numbers must be stored, transmitted, and disposed of in accordance with company information protection standards.
- As required by law, we disclose the identity of policyholders to the U.S. Department of Agriculture and its agencies
- Our employees may access Social Security numbers or Personal Information only as required by their job duties.