Field Insights® is here for you this planting season!
With a new planting season coming up, one of the toughest factors to account for is the weather and the impacts it takes on your farmers' fields. Unfortunately, we can’t control what Mother Nature throws our way, but with Field Insights, we can assist your policyholders on making educated decisions for each individual field, giving them the most efficient and successful farming operation possible. Let’s take a look at some specific Map Layers and components that will directly aid your farmers this spring!
The Map Layers within Field Insights provides crucial weather information at a field level allowing your farmer to see what is taking place on their field without having to leave the house! Each layer provides a different set of information, but all can be similarly read with our user-friendly legend on the bottom of each map when data is selected.
Also, click on the “question mark” icon to view a popup window with full definitions of each layer. Let’s look at some of those layers now:
- Radar: The first three layers all pertain to radar data and are broken down by the Last 2 Hours, Last 24 Hours, and the Next 24 Hours. Each layer also comes with a loop button as well.
- Precipitation: We have four layers pertaining to precipitation. Three display the estimated accumulation that has already fallen in the Last Hour, Last 24 Hours, and an estimated accumulation to fall in the Next 24 Hours. The fourth layer shows the probability of precipitation over the Next 24 Hours.
- Soil data: A comprehensive set of data options to review on you fields from Map Units, Soil Moisture and Temperature, Drainage, Erodibility, Farmland, and Crop Production Classes, Frost Free Periods, Flooding Frequency, and even Actual Evapotranspiration. Plus many more to help you better manage risk on your fields. *See Additional References
With each of our Map Layers, once it is selected, the map will update showing different color assignments for the applicable data. Simply match the color to the provided legend to further define the data being provided.
Our components also provide valuable data for your farmers' fields, but does not rely solely on the map to relay that information. In order to utilize the components, you or your policyholder will first need to select a field by either clicking directly on the field shown in the map, or by clicking the applicable Field Card. Once a field is selected, simply click the “Select a Component” tab and choose the desired component from the drop-down menu. Here are some key components to look at for this Spring’s planting season:
- Field Conditions: The Current Conditions component is the first in the list and provides the following information:
- Current weather
- Last Hour
- Last 24 Hours
- 90 Days (Historical Data)
- Year to Date (YTD)
- Soil data
- Accessibility – You or your farmer may update the Accessibility status by clicking on the status button and manually selecting "Good, Marginal, or Poor". Field Insights will learn from this manually inputted data, which allows for more accurate data in the future.
- Soil Temperature
- 2-meter Water Availability percentage
- Planting Conditions: This component provides more of a visual set of weather data over either a week’s span in daily or hourly increments over the next 96 hours. You or your policyholder can switch back and forth from hourly to weekly by simply clicking the “Hours”, or “Days” buttons. The following data will be provided for both the hourly and daily settings:
- Conditions – General weather conditions
- Wind Speed – Average wind speeds
- Precip Chance – Chance of precipitation shown as a percentage
- Precip Amount – Estimated amount of precipitation to fall in inches
- Precip Accumulation - Estimated amount of precip to accumulate in inches
- Soil Temp – Estimated soil temperature in Fahrenheit
- Field Accessibility – Accessibility for the field color-coded as Poor, Marginal, or Good
- Crop Growth & Harvest: Includes a growth model chart to view the projected development of the planted crop based on planting date and growing degree days.
- Soil Composition: This is helpful for variable rate field spraying as well as finding out information of the types of soil on other fields.
- Historical Weather: Your farmers can look back in time to view historical weather data in either a chart, table, or even export it into to a spreadsheet.
You already provide the excellent customer service your farmers deserve, now give them more, with Field Insights!
- *New soil map layers for Field Insights
- Let your farmers know they can sign up for Hail Notifications too!
- NAU Country Connection Webinar: Field level data at your fingertips with Field Insights!
- Farmer Resources Quick Videos!
How to create a farmer account - Quick Video
How to report acres in Field Insights - Quick Video
- Farmer Tools - Weather Metrics
- Field Insights: Harvest Advisor
- Field Insights: Spray Window Advisor
- Field Insights: Prospect Map Book
- Mobile Policy Management
- Field Insights YouTube Video Tutorials
- Agent Tips and Tricks